Saturday, October 14, 2006

Doctors can be frustrating. You wait a month-and-a-half for an appointment, and he says, "I wish you'd come to me sooner."

Hi Guys!
Sorry I haven't been writing lately. Work has been taking up a ton of my time. I absolutely love my job!! Abby has been training me in so many areas. I can't wait until Monday. I just know I will be challenged to lean more. I am also getting ready to go back to school. Hopefully I will be going back on October 30th.
So, anyway I need to tell you what happened to me over the last 24 hours.
Well, I spent 6 hours in the emergency room yesterday. I have been having sharp pains in my pelvic area for several months now. I was up vomiting on Thursday and by Friday morning I was hurting so bad that it was hard to stand or walk. So, I called the Doctor and she said that it was probably my hernia acting up again. She scheduled an appointment to get x-rays. I went in and waited.... and waited.... and then waited some more. After 2 hours they took me in for an ultra sound and then informed me that they could find nothing. So, the Doctor recommended I go to the emergency room to get a cat scan. After 3 more hours they determined that it could be scar tissue and possible nerve damage from a hernia surgery I had last year. Then the Doctor handed me some pain medication and told me to get some sleep. I thought to myself, "Yep! It's definately nerve damage!! And they better watch out because I am on my last one!!" One...I hate to take narcotics and two... I hate to be told that they don't know what is wrong with me after I just paid hundreds of dollars for testing!!! I am soooo angry and yes...I still hurt! My Doctor called and asked me to come back in for more tests on Monday. Angrily, I responded,"I don't think so!!!" I don't know what else they can do to me. This is what happened for a year before my heart attack They couldn't figure out what was wrong with me and after many tests and embarrassing moments they began treating me as if I was an hypochondriac. Needless to say, after I finally gave up all the tests and just accepted that maybe I was crazy...I was rushed into the emergency room with a massive heart-attack!!! I know when there is something wrong with my body! But, I can't afford to go back for more tests only to find out that once again they don't know why I am hurting and give me more pain medication. They look at me as if I am crazy and perhaps I am so desperate for attention that I just impulsively go to the Doctors. So, therefore I won't be going back to the Doctor or the hospital. I will not take strong doses of pain medication. I will just wait. I believe that eventually my body will show whatever is going on. Until then I will do what I always do..Use humor. After all..laughter is the best medicine.

So... I have included some jokes and comics. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
BTW..
I laughed so hard my side hurt! LOL
Getting Older:
Three older ladies were discussing the problems of getting older. One declares, "Sometimes I catch myself in front of the refrigerator with a jar of mayonnaise in my hand, and for a brief moment can't remember whether I need to put it away, or start making a sandwich." The second lady chimes in, "Yes, sometimes I find myself on the landing of the stairs, and can't remember if I'm on my way up or down." The third one responds, " Well, I'm glad I don't have that problem; knock wood," as she taps her knuckles on the table. "That must be someone at the door, I'll get it!"Emotional Comeback
A man who was in the ICU was slipping in and out of a coma for several months, yet his wife stayed by his bedside each and every day. One day, when he came through, he motioned for her to come nearer.As she sat by him, he whispered, eyes full of tears, "You know what? You have been with me all through the bad times. When I got fired, you were there to support me. When my business failed, you were there. When I got shot, you were by my side. When we lost the house, you stayed right here. When my health started failing, you were still by my side. You know what?""What, dear?" the wife asked, smiling as her heart began to fill with warmth."I think you're bad luck!"


Do you understand your doctor's language?
Doctor says: "One of several things could cause your symptoms."Doctor means: "I haven't the foggiest idea what's wrong with you."Doctor says: "Are you certain you haven't had this before?"Doctor means: "Because now you've got it again."Doctor says: "I'd like to run that last test over."Doctor means: "The lab lost your sample."Doctor says: "This prescription has a few side effects."Doctor means: "You may experience sudden hair growth on your palms."Doctor says: "Your insurance should cover most of this."Doctor means: "You'll have to sell your house to cover the rest." Doorbell rings...
Feeling edgy, a man took a hot bath.Just as he became comfortable, the doorbell rang. The man got out of the tub, put on his slippers and robe and went to the door. A salesman at the door wanted to know if he needed any brushes. Slamming the door, the man returned to the bath. The doorbell rang again. On went the slippers and robe, and the man started for the door again. He took one step, slipped on a wet spot, fell backward, and hit his back against the hard porcelain bathtub. Cursing under his breath, the man struggled into his street clothes and with every move a stab of pain, drove to the doctor. After examining him, the doctor said, "You know, you've been lucky. Nothing is broken. But you need to relax. Why don't you go home and take a long hot bath?" Doctor's opinion..

A patient complained to his doctor, "I've been to three other doctors and none of them agreed with your diagnosis." The doctor calmly replied, "Just wait until the autopsy, then they'll say that I was right."


Hot Water or Cold Water
A business executive injured his leg skiing one weekend. By the time he got home Saturday, the leg was very swollen and he was having difficulty walking, so he called his physician at his home. The doctor told him to soak it in hot water. He tried soaking it in hot water but the leg became more swollen and painful. His maid saw him limping and said, "I don't know, I'm only a maid, but I always thought it was better to use cold water, not hot, for swelling." He tried switching to cold water and the swelling rapidly subsided. On Sunday afternoon he called his Dr. again to complain. "Say, what kind of a doctor are you anyway? You told me to soak my leg in hot water and it got worse. My maid told me to use cold water and it got better." "Really?" answered the doctor, "I don't understand it. My maid said to use hot water."
This exactly how I have felt over the last couple of years!!! So I ask you, "Why do I have to continue to show them where it hurts????"
This one reason I don't take pain medication from an emergency Doctor! LOL Don't you hate this...Talk about stress!!!

No comments: